MPI is a NDT technique for detecting surface and subsurface discontinuity in ferromagnetic materials such as iron, nickel, cobalt and some of their alloys.
We offer on-site magnetic particle inspection services using yoke type, prod type and coil type magnetizing equipment; dry powder, wet magnetic particles & wet fluorescent magnetic particle technique.
- Most weld discontinuities open to or near the surface
- Most suitable for cracks, laps, seams, voids, pits, subsurface holes, and other surface or slightly subsurface, discontinuities in ferromagnetic materials
- Relatively economical and expedient
- Test equipment is considered portable
- Unlike liquid penetrant, magnetic particle can detect some near surface discontinuities
- Can inspect through thin coatings
- Application only to ferromagnetic materials as well as to surface or near-surface flaws
- Parts should be clean before and after inspection
- Thick coatings may mask rejectable indications
- Some applications require parts to be demagnetized after inspection
- Magnetic particle test requires use of electrical energy for most applications
- Some potential for arc strikes on surface